I'm a mom of a teenage boy, and I can say with certainty that it's really hard to tell how much my son wants me to be involved in his life. For more insight into how we moms can better understand our teen boys, check out my post "10 Tips: How to Raise a Boy Right".
Sometimes I'm at a loss as to what to do with my son when we have some unscheduled time together (very rare, but it does happen). I researched online and found some cool ideas for moms and teen sons to do together. Like our boys, one size does not fit all, and not all of these ideas will be his cup of tea. Run the list by him or choose the ones that feel right. Get going and spend that quality time together!
Here's 45 ideas from the list:
1. Go to the movies @ the theater
3. Walk the dog. Your dog will appreciate the exercise and scenery! And not to mention you'll get some exercise and fresh air too!
4. Jogging. If your teen son is into sports, this is the perfect opportunity for you to exercise together.
4. Laser Tag
5. Video Games. Ask him to teach you how to play his favorite video game.
6. Play H-O-R-S-E. This is always tons of fun!
7. Plan a Beach Day
8. Play some old fashioned board games like Monopoly, Battleship, Pictionary, or Jenga.
9. Go out for some fro-yo or ice cream
10. Go on a bike ride together
11. Play card games
12. Cook a meal together. Ask him what he'd like to make and go shopping for the ingredients together.
13. Work on craft project together. My middle school age son and I worked together to make a "Ping Pong Basketball" stand for his school's Market Day. Check out the DIY step by step instructions here.
14. Volunteer together
15. Browse together at a bookstore
16. Boogie Boarding
18. Take a Day Road Trip. No itinerary required! Know where you're going, and just get in the car and go! Stop to check out whatever looks interesting. Consult Yelp for attractions along the way.
20. Mini golf
21. Go-Kart Racing
22. Horseback Riding
24. Go to a Concert
25. Get tickets to a performance at your local High School or Community College
26. Plan a weekend "staycation". Book a nearby hotel for the night and hang out at the pool, play hoops, and BBQ.
27. Batting Cages
28. Golf Range
29. Enter a Fun Run together for charity
30. Go to a museum
31. Go on a culinary tour
32. Book tickets for a walking tour to learn about the history of your town.
33. Zip Lining
34. Get tickets for an Escape Room activity. In our area, you can choose your adventure. Then, you find clues to earn your way out of the room. It's challenging but really fun!
35. Go to a local sporting event. Catch a high school or college baseball, basketball, or football game.
36. Carnival. If your son doesn't want to ride the rides together, you can walk around and grab some carnival food!
37. Jet Ski
38. Star Gazing in the backyard or at Planetarium
39. Play Tennis
40. Take a guitar or ukulele class together
41. Check out the dogs at a Dog Show
42. Visit an animal shelter
43. Take surf lessons together
44. Indoor rock climbing
45. Perform random acts of kindness together. For a great article on why kindness matters and for some ideas on how your kids might go about performing random acts of kindness this summer, check out this article by the Thoughtful Parent entitled "Summer Acts of Kindness for Kids: Ideas for Developing Emotional Intelligence".
For more awesome ideas, get the entire list of 75 ideas by signing up below--you'll get six beautiful printable checklists to work your way through the entire list!
Here's to building a strong bond with your teen son! If you found this post helpful, or if you know anyone who could benefit from some ideas to bond with their teenage son, please share it with them! Aloha!